Patient Died in Seclusion Room from Medication Toxicity and Pulmonary Edema

A patient at Highlands was found to be unresponsive in the facility’s seclusion room and later died. Inspectors with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment cited the facility for five deficiencies related to the patient’s care, including failures in appropriately administering narcotic medications per physician’s orders and conducting proper welfare checks to ensure patient safety. The patient’s autopsy revealed he died from medication toxicity and cerebral/pulmonary edema.